2020 is here and this year promises to introduce some refreshing pairs on celluloid. Let’s look at some of the names:
1. Saif –Tabu In Jawani Jaan-e-Mann: They have been together once before in Sooraj Barjatya’s Hum Saath Saath Hain. But Saif was cast opposite his future sister-in-law Karisma Kapoor and Tabu was with Mohnish Behl. In Jawani Jaan-e-Mann they play spouses at loggerheads. She thinks he is a negative person. He calls a hippy. Get ready for some fun friction between two of our most interesting actors.
2. Siddharth- Disha in Malang; Siddharth Malhotra and Disha Patni share a sizzling-hot chemistry in Mohit Suri’s Malang. And I wonder what Tara Sutaria and Tiger Shroff have to say about that.
3. Kartik Aryan-Sara Ali Khan in Love Aaj Kal: Imtiaz Ali worked a kind of distant magic with Sara’s father Saif and Deepika Padukone in Love Aaj Kal in 2009. Ten years later one can see Sara struggling to generate some of kind of combustion with Kartik in the new Love Aaj Kal. Best of luck to them. They need it.
4. Ayushmann Khurrana-Jitendra Kumar in Shubh Mangal Zyada Savdhaan: They play lovers in a same-sex marriage, And the gender ceases to matter, just as it ceased to matter between Timothy Chalamet and Armie Hammer in Call Me By Your Name.
5. Rajkummar Rao-Nushrat Bhrucha in Chhalaang: Rajkummar Rao is comfortable with any and every heroine. However in Hansal Mehta’s first comedy since Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar we will get to see some special chemistry between Rao and his co-star.
6. Ranbir-Alia in Bhahmastra: Real-life couple who are expected to marry soon Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt together for the first time in Karan Johar-Ayan Mukerjee’s sci-fi special. Real-life couples are not as exciting to the audience as they are to one another. Let’s hope that changes this time.
7. Varun Dhawan-Sara Ali Khan in Coolie No 1: Doing a Govinda-Karisma in David Dhawan’s Coolie No 1 should be fun specially when these two Gen-X stars dance to Main toh raste pe jaa raha ttha. Bhelpuri sales are expected to hit the roof.
8. Sushant Singh Rajput-Sanjana Sanghi in Dil Bechara: Remake of the surprise Hollywood hit Fault In Our Stars I really don’t feel enthused about watching this fresh pair play two terminally ill patients in love. What a depressing start for Ms Sanghi.
9. Ishan Khattar-Ananya Pandey in Khali Peeli: Remake of Vijay Deverakonda’s Telugu hit Taxiwaala, about a haunted taxi , Ishaan doing a Deverakonda after his brother Shahid also doing a Deverakonda (Shahid’s Kabir Singh was a remake of Deverakonda’s Arjun Reddy). Ishaan’s chemistry with Ms Pandey seems questionable.
10. Akshay Kumar-Manushi Chillar in Prithviraj: As far as fresh pairings go this one is the baap of all untried jodis. Chandraprakash Diwedi’s costume drama promises to equal Sanjay Bhansali’s epic vision. Ms Chillar and Mr Kumar are said to look born-for-love as real-life historical couple.