Lata Mangeshkar is the Nightingale of India. She was awarded the Guinness World Record for recording 30,000 songs in her career. Here are some lesser-known facts about Lata didi.
• Lata Mangeshkar’s birth name was Heema Mangeshkar.
• Lata Mangeshkar and her family changed their last name to Mangeshkar from Hardikar to identify with her father’s native town Mangeshi, Goa.
• She has four siblings Meena Khadikar, Asha Bhosle, Usha Mangeshkar and Hridaynath Mangeshkar of whom Lata Mangeshkar is the eldest.
• She dropped out of school because the teacher didn’t allow her to sing.
• Her father, Deenanath Mangeshkar gave Lata Mangeshkar lessons in classical singing.
• After the death of her father, she started working as a singer and actor at the Marathi cinema.
• She is also popularly known as Queen of Melody, Voice of the Nation, Voice of the Millennium, Nightingale of India and the Daughter of Nation.
• She has been honored with Padma Bhushan (1969), Dadasaheb Phalke Award (1989), Padma Vibushan (1999), Bharat Ratna (2001) and Legion of Honour (2007).
Lata Mangeshkar is the legend of the Indian music industry and there will be no match to someone like her.