Lata Mangeshkar is the unchallenged, undisputed and evergreen musical queen of Bollywood and no one can make a claim to the contrary. One of the most renowned and respected playback singer across South Asia, Lata Mangeshkar has been a part of the music industry for 77 years now. In a career spanning over 7 decades, Lata didi (as she is affectionately known) has given us hundreds of songs that are absolutely loved and cherished.
If one had to list all the awards and accolades that this nightingale has accumulated, it would be easier and quicker to redirect people to her Wikipedia page. To put things into perspective, the Guinness Book of World Records recognized Lata Mangeshkar as the most recorded artist in the history of Playback Singing in 1974. And 45 years since then, Lata didi is still breathing magic into the lyrics that are given to her.
Although her voice hasn’t changed much in her 77 year old career, every song sounds unique in her voice. Let’s take a look at some of the songs that remind us why she is and will remain the evergreen musical queen.
1. Lag Ja Gale, Who Kaun Thi: When you hear this song, you could not imagine it being sung by anyone else.
2. Lukka Chuppi, Rang De Basanti: In this song, a mother’s calling out to her son and it’s sure to bring a tear to your eye.
3. Pyar Kiya toh darna kya, Mughl-E-Azam: This song brought together two legeneds – Lata ji and Madhubala dancing gracefully.
4. Aye Mere Watan Ke Logo: Ever since its release, this song has been a part of every Republic Day and Independence Day.
5. Mere Khwabo Me Jo Aaye, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge: There are rarely any singers even today who can infuse playfulness in this song like Lata ji did.