Mumbai is known as “The City Of Dreams” and “Mayanagri”. It is also famous for its famous street foods.
1. Pav Bhaji.
Ingredients: 12 pav buns, 2 finely chopped Onions, Extra virgin olive oil, Coriander leaves, grated Ginger, 3 garlic cloves, 1 cup Tomato paste, 1 finely chopped Capsicum, 2 diced Carrots, ½ cup Cabbage, 1 cup florets Cauliflower, 3 peeled and diced Potatoes, 2 tbsp Pav bhaji masala, 1 tsp Chaat masala, ½ cup steamed Green peas, Lemon juice, 1 tbsp Olive oil, Salt to taste
Procedure: 1. On a heated pressure cooker, add oil, onions, ginger and garlic.
2. Sauté until the onions are slightly translucent.
3. Add tomato paste, capsicum, carrots, cabbage, cauliflowers and potatoes to it. Add pav bhaji masala and chaat masala.
4. Mix well and add a half cup of water. Close the lid and allow to cook for about three to four whistles on medium flame.
5. Take off heat and let the steam release by itself.
6. Once all the steam is gone, open the cooker and mash the pav bhaji until it looks creamy.
7. Add some lemon juice, butter, peas and mix well.
8. On a tawa, fry the bread until slightly golden on the inside. Serve hot.
2. Vada Pav.
Ingredients:- 2 tsp Oil, ½ tsp Mustard, Pinch of Hing, Curry leaves, Crushed Ginger, 2 cloves Garlic, 1 chopped Chili, 2 tbsp chopped Coriander, ¼ tbsp Turmeric, 2 peeled, boiled and mashed Potatoes, ½ Salt, ½ tbsp Lemon juice.
For Besan Batter:- ¾Gram flour, 1 tbsp Rice flour, ¼ cup Turmeric, ¼ Red chili powder, Pinch of Asafetida, ¼ tbsp Salt, ¼ tbsp Baking soda, ½ cup Water, Oil.
Procedure:- 1. Mix all the ingredients for aloo mixture and form into round flat patties.
2. Dip it into besan mixture, coating it well. Deep fry aloo balls.
3. Spread the chutneys over the insides of pavs.
4. Place chili and aloo ball on the inside and close. Serve hot.
3. Masala Pav.
Ingredients:- 2-3 tablespoon Oil, 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds, 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds, ½ cup Onion, 2 tbsp Chilli Paste, 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste, ¼ cup chopped Capsicum and Mushroom, 2 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala, Salt, 1 cup chopped Tomatoes, 1 chopped green chili, 4-5 burger buns, water, Coriander leaves.
Procedure:- 1.Add 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan add cumin seeds in it. Now add mustard seeds and half a cup of onion in it.
2. Sauté the onion and add ginger-garlic paste in it.
3. Sauté all the ingredients for one minute and then add chopped capsicum and mushrooms in it.
4. Mix it well and add spices. Firstly add 2 tbsp of pav bhaji masala and salt. Now, Mix all the spices and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add 3 medium finely chopped tomatoes and chopped green Chilies in the tava.
6. Add chopped coriander leaves with the tomatoes and cook for 5-6 minutes and keep it on medium flame.
7. Add 4 tbsp water when the tomatoes are soft and pulpy and mix it well.
8. Now, mash the veggies. Cook and mix for 2 minutes.
9. Now, mash the tomatoes and mix the masala for 2-3 minutes.
10. Keep the masala aside and take pav buns, cut them in between. Apply a tsp of butter & put the buns on it.
11. Take off the heat and Sandwich the masala & pav and serve with sev and masala tea.
4. Chole Bhature.
Ingredients:- 1 cup chickpea soaked overnight, 4 tbsp oil, 1 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon stick, ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1 onion, finely chopped, 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, 2 tomatoes, finely chopped, 1 tbsp kashmiri chili powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ¾ tsp aamchur powder, salt, ½ tsp garam masala, water, 2 tsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
Procedure:- 1. In a cooker heat oil. Sauté bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cumin seeds till they turn aromatic.
2. Add finely chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste. sauté till it turns golden brown.
3. Also add tomatoes and sauté till they start releasing oil.
4. Add chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, aamchur powder, garam masala and salt. Sauté for a minute.
then add soaked chickpea.
5. Followed by 2 cups of water. Mix it well.
6. Pressure cook for 7-8 whistles on medium flame.
7. Allow the pressure to release by itself before opening cooker.
8. Mix well and garnish coriander leaves. Finally, serve with bhatura.
5. Misal Pav.
Ingredients:- 2 cup moth beans, sprouts, ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp salt, 1 cup water.
FOR MASALA PASTE:- 2 tsp oil, 2 inch ginger, 1 finely chopped onion, 2 clove garlic, ¼ cup dry coconut, 1 finely chopped tomato, ¼ cup of water.
OTHER INGREDIENTS:- 3 tsp of Cooking oil, 1 tbsp of mustard, 1 tbsp of jeera, curry leaves, 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder, ¼ tbsp of turmeric, 1 tbsp of coriander powder, 1 tsp garam masala, small piece jaggery, ½ tsp salt, 5 cup water
FOR SERVING: 2 cup farsan,½ onion, finely chopped, 2 tbsp coriander leaves, 6 pav, 1 lemon
Procedure:-1. Take a large kadai, heat oil and splutter mustard, jeera and few curry leaves.
2. Add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
3. sauté on low flame till spices turn aromatic.
4. Add the masala paste and sauté well.
5. Cook until the oil starts releasing from masala paste.
6. Now, add cooked matki, some small pieces of jaggery and salt.
7. Adjust the consistency by adding5 cups of water.
8. When the Misal is ready, the oil starts floating.
9. On a serving plate, take matki usal add some farsan over it. Serve with pav.
6. Omelette pav.
Ingredients:- 4 pieces pav, 4 egg, 1 chopped capsicum, oil as required, 4 tbsp green chutney, tamarind paste as required, 3 finely chopped green chilli, 2 onion, 5 tbsp coriander leaves.
Procedure:-1. Beat egg, coriander leaves, capsicum, green chilies and salt in a mixing bowl. Keep it aside.
2. Prepare The Egg Omelette. Heat the required amount of oil on a shallow frying pan. Pour the egg mixture onto the pan and shallow fry the mixture until it turns golden brown in colour.
3. Place The Omlette In A Pav And Enjoy. Fold the omelette and place it in the slit portion of the pav. Serve fresh and enjoy with green and tamarind chutney.
7. Kanda Bhaji.
Ingredients:- 2 cups thinly sliced onions, 1¼ cups besan, 1½ tbsp coarsely crushed whole coriander seeds, 2 tsp finely chopped green chilies, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp chili powder, ¼ cup finely chopped coriander, salt to taste, oil for deep-frying.
Procedure:- 1. To make kanda bhaji, Add 2 tbsp water and mix all ingredients.
2. Heat oil in a pan and put spoonfuls of onion mixture and let deep fry until golden brown.
3. Serve kanda bhaji immediately.
8. Dahi Kachori.
Ingredients:- 2 moong dal kachori or matar kachori, ¼ cup thick curd, 2 tbsp tamarind chutney and green chutney, cumin powder, ¼ tbsp of kashmiri red chili powder, ¼ tsp of chaat masala, salt , ¼ cup finely chopped onion, ¼ cup finely chopped tomato, handful of sev, few coriander leaves.
Procedure:- 1. Take 2 large kachories.
2. Make hole in centre, don’t break the entire kachori.
3. Pour curd in centre of kachori.
4. Add tamarind chutney, green chutney, chilli powder, cumin powder, salt and chaat masala.
5. Top with finely chopped onions and tomato.
6. Sprinkle some sev on top.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
9. Bhel Puri.
Ingredients:- 2-3 cups of Puffed Rice, 4 tsp Coriander Mint Chutney, 4 tsp Tamarind Chutney, ½ cup Onion, ½ cup Tomato,1 tsp Green Chilli,3 tbsp Fresh Coriander,½ cup Boiled Potato, 2 tbsp Raw Mango,Salt to taste, ½ tbsp of Red Chili Powder, 1 tbsp Chaat Masala, 2 tbsp of Lemon Juice, ¼ cup of Nylon Sev.