1. Chana Madra Recipe
Chana Madra is a popular vegetarian dish from Himachal Pradesh. It has a thick yogurt-based gravy and has amazing taste and flavour. It makes a perfect combination with rice and salad. The measurements given for the following ingredients are ideal for 4 servings.
Ingredients- 2 cups of Kabuli chanas (White chickpeas) soaked overnight and boiled, 2-3 tablespoons of mustard oil, 1/4 teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida), 2-3 cloves (Laung), 1-inch cinnamon stick (dalchini), 1 black cardamom (Badi elaichi), 3-4 black peppercorns, 1/2-1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera), 1 chopped onion (optional), 3/4 teaspoon garam masala powder, 1 tablespoon coriander powder (Dhania), 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder (Haldi), red chili powder as required, Salt to taste, 2-3 green chilies slit, 2 cups Greek yogurt (Hung Curd) beaten till smooth, 1/2-1 tablespoon rice flour, 1 tablespoon ghee.
1. To begin with, grind black cardamoms, peppercorns, and cloves together in a mix until they are well granulated.
2. Ensure that it doesn’t turn into a fine powder.
3. Then mix rice flour with water and let it sit aside.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of mustard oil on medium heat to smoking point.
5. Add a pinch of hing, cumin seeds, and cinnamon to the mustard oil.
6. Further, add all the dried spices which we grinded earlier.
7. Now add chopped onion to it and saute it for a minute. However, this step is optional.
8. Then add garam masala and coriander powder to it. Now add the soaked and boiled chickpeas and mix it well.
9. Add salt and chili powder as per taste. Add the green chillis and cook it well for 2-4 minutes.
10. Lower the heat and slowly add the beaten yogurt while stirring the chickpea mixture.
11. Increase the heat to medium and keep stirring well to avoid the yogurt from forming clumps.
12. Once it starts boiling, add rice flour mixture and ghee and continue to stir it.
13. Let it cook for more 5-6 minutes until the consistency is right. As it cools, it begins to thicken.
14. Serve it with steamed rice and kachumber salad for a perfect meal.
2. Tudkiya Bhath
Tudkiya Bhath is a rice dish belonging to Himachal Pradesh. It contains lentils and spices which give a wonderful aroma and flavour to the dish. The following measurements of ingredients are ideal for 3-4 servings.
Ingredients- 1 cup basmati rice, 1/2 cup lentils, 3 tbsp ghee, 1-inch cinnamon, 1 cardamom, 1 black cardamom, 2 potatoes, 1 onion, 1/2 cup thick curd, as per taste Salt.
To make the Spice paste: 1 onion, 1 tomato, 1 teaspoon ginger paste, 1 teaspoon garlic paste, 2 tbsp coriander leaves, 2 green chilies, 1-inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 1 cardamom, 1 black cardamom, 1 teaspoon mace, 1 teaspoon poppy seeds.
1. Waah the rice and lentils well and soak them in water separately for 30 minutes.
2. After that, drain the water out and keep it ready for use.
3. Then, mix all the ingredients required for the Spice paste and grind them well until a smooth paste is formed.
4. Now cut the potatoes into slices and mix them with the paste.
5. Cover this potato mixture and let it sit for 30 minutes.
6. Put ghee in a pressure cooker and add all the whole spices to it and saute for one minute.
7. Cut the onion into thin slices and add it to this mixture.
8. Saute it till the onion turns light pink in colour.
9. Now add the potato spice mixture to this and cook well for 5 minutes.
10. After that, add curd and mix well. Cook it until the oil starts separating.
11. Now add rice and lentils. Now add salt as per taste and 3 cups of water.
12. Cook on high heat and wait for 2 whistles.
13. After the pressure comes down by itself, take it out and serve hot with raita and papad.
3. Chha Gosht
Chha Gosht is a non-vegetarian dish native to Himachal Pradesh. The marinated mutton cooked in yogurt and gram flour gravy with a variety of spices, is a treat to the taste buds.
Ingredients- (6 servings): 500 grams mutton, 3 cup yoghurt (curd), 3 tablespoons gram flour (besan), 1 teaspoon red chili powder, 4 clove, 3 black cardamoms, 1 teaspoon ginger paste, 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida, 3 tablespoon mustard oil, 2 cinnamon, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 1/2 bay leaf, 1 teaspoon garlic paste, 2 large onion, 3 pieces green chili, 2 inches ginger, salt as required.
1. Take the mutton pieces in a bowl.
2. Add ginger and garlic paste along with crushed cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, and cardamom.
3. Add a small portion of yogurt and marinate the mutton well.
4. Refrigerate it for a minimum of 5 hours.
5. Now, heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
6. Add coriander powder, asafoetida, red chili powder, green chilies, and chopped ginger to it.
7. Saute it for 4-5 minutes and then add chopped onion to it.
8. Saute the onion well until it changes colour.
9. Now add gram flour and stir continuously while cooking.
10. Make sure that it does not burn. Then add the marinated mutton and turmeric powder.
11. Stir well and let it cook. Finally, add the remaining yogurt and cook on low heat for around 1 hour.
12. Add seasonings as and if required. Serve hot with bread or rice.