Chinese Noodles are our, everyone’s favourite. But let’s now learn the story behind the world famous dish.
Chinese noodles originated in the Han dynasty. There are a number of varieties of noodles in China, on the basis of classification of the shape of noodles, seasoning gravy, and cooking craft. The earliest known record of noodles is dated to the Eastern Han period from a book assuming it to be from 25–220 CE.
The noodles initially originated due to the demand for the military, as it was necessary for the Government of the Han dynasty to implement food processing technologies that would make the food storage easier and more affordable. At that time, “Laomian” emerged and it was made from starch rich buckwheat, millet and pea, flours. And this is where the noodles started from.
Now let us take a look at some of the types of noodles-
1. Soba noodles:
Ingredient:- 9 ounces soba, 1/2 cup rice vinegar, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp sesame oil, 1 1.2 tbsp sugar, 2 clove crushed garlic, 2 tbsp grated ginger, 3 thinly sliced green onions, 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves, 1 tbsp sesame seeds, 2 hard boiled eggs.
Method:- 1. Take a large pot and add noodles to boiling water, cook noodles properly. Rinse the noodles with cold water and drain.
2. Take a small bowl, whisk soya sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, garlic and ginger.
- In a large bowl, mix noodles, rice vinegar mixture, green onions, cilantro and sesame seeds.
4. Serve immediately, garnish with eggs.2. Shirataki noodles:
Ingredients:- 300 grams of shirataki noodles, Olive oil or butter, 100 grams of grated cheddar cheese, 1 tbsp of butter, ½ tsp of sea salt.
Method:- 1. Heat the oven at 150°C.
2. Rinse the noodles with normal water for about two minutes.
3. Take the noodles into a skillet and cook it over medium-high heat for 5–10 minutes, keep stirring occasionally.
4. Grease a 2 cup ramekin with olive oil or butter, while the noodles are cooking
5. Add the cooked noodles to the ramekin, add remaining ingredients and stir well. Cook for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and serve