1. Dal Tadka Recipe:
INGREDIENTS- 200 grams toor dal, 1-inch ginger, 2 cloves, 1 tbsp cumin seeds, 1 green chili, 4 large garlic cloves divided, 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder, 3.5 cups water divided, 2 medium tomatoes chopped, 1/2 tbsp coriander powder, 1/4 tbsp garam masala, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 22 ml ghee, salt to taste, 150 grams red onion chopped, 1/8 tbsp red chili powder, 1/4 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder, 1 tbsp coriander seeds crushed, 1 tbsp Kasuri methi crushed.
For Tadka/ Tempering- 10 ml ghee, 1/4 tsp hing, 2 dried red chilies, 1/4 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder optional, 2 large garlic cloves chopped
1. Take a pressure cooker and add toor dal likewise with turmeric, 3 cups water, and 1 tsp salt.
2. Pressure cook for 4 whistles on high flame then lower the heat and let it cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Let the pressure release genuinely. If you are using an Instant Pot, cook on high pressure for 9 minutes with natural pressure discharge. Keep it aside.
3. Meantime smash 4 large garlic cloves, 1-inch ginger, and green chili in a mortar pestle and keep it aside.
4. In a heavy lower pan, warm up ghee on medium flame. Once hot, put in the cumin seeds, crushed cloves, and coriander seeds. stir-fry for few seconds until aromatic.
5. Then put in onions, cook for around 4 to 5 minutes unless they are soft and start changing color.
6. Add the smashed garlic, ginger, green chili. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes unless the raw smell goes away.
7. put in the chopped tomatoes along with 1/2 tsp salt and mix. Cover and cook for 8 to 9 minutes unless tomatoes are very soft and cooked.
8. Then put in the garam masala, coriander powder, red chili powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, cilantro, and Kasuri methi. Mix the spices with the masala for few 35 seconds.
9. Add the boiled dal to the pan and stir. I had also added 1/2 cup water here as the dal looked very thick. allow the dal to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
10. For the tadka/ tempering, heat 2 teaspoons ghee in a small pan. whenever the ghee is hot, add 2 chopped garlic cloves. Also, put hing and dried red chilies in it.
11. Cook for 2 minutes unless the garlic starts changing color. Add Kashmiri red chili powder takeout pan from heat.
12. Pour tadka over the dal and mix it well.
2. Dal Fry Recipe:
¾ cup toor dal, 1 tbsp ghee, 3½ cup water, clarified butter1 tbsp ghee, 1 tsp mustard, rai 1 tsp jeera, 1 dried red chili, broken1 dried red chili, broken few curry leaves few, a pinch of hing, 1 onion finely chopped, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1 green chili, ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, 1 tomato finely chopped, 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp garam masala, 1 tbsp coriander finely chopped, 1 tsp Kasuri methi.
1. First of all in a pressure cooker add ¾ cup toor dal and 3 cup water for 6 whistles.
2. Now in another Kadai heat 1 tbsp ghee and 1 dried red chili, splutter 1 tsp mustard, few curry leaves, 1 tsp jeera, and a pinch of hing.
3. Add in 1 onion followed by 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and 1 green chili. Stir it well.
4. Further put in ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp coriander powder, and ½ tsp chili powder. stir on low heat.
5. Additionally put in 1 tomato and stir till it turns soft and slushy.
6. Put the cooked dal along with 1 tsp salt. Mix it well.
7. smolder for 6 minutes or until dal turns smooth and soaks up flavour.
8. Now add 1 tbsp coriander, ¼ tsp garam masala, and 1 tsp crushed Kasuri methi.
9. Finally, serve dal fry with hot ghee rice or jeera rice.
3. Panchratna Dal:
DAL’S USED: 2 tbsp moong dal, 2 tbsp masoor dal, 2 tbsp toor dal, 2 tbsp chana dal, 2 tbsp black urad dal
FOR MASALA: 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 10-12 curry leaves, 2 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 medium-sized tomato finely chopped, ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp black mustard seeds, 1 tsp Kasuri methi, salt as required, 2-3 tbsp oil or unsalted butter or ghee, ½ tsp garam masala powder, 1 or 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, 1 to 2 pinches hing optional, 2-3 dry red chilies, 1 tsp coriander powder optional
1. Combine all the 5 da in a similar proportion and saturate in water for 45-50 mins.
2. Now Pressure cooks the dals include 3 cups of water for 5-6 whistles.
3. in pan heat ghee and put in the cumin, mustard and fry them. Let them boil over.
4. Add the onions and fry until they become light brown or transparent.
5. Now add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
6. Add red chilies, curry leaves, and mix it well.
7. Now add the tomatoes. Cook till they soften and you see oil discharge from the sides.
8. put all the spice powders, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder. And fry for a minute.
9. Now add the cooked and mashed dal. Mix it well.
10. Now add water and salt to taste.
11. Continue to cook and stir the dal for 5-6 minutes in a low to medium heat.
12. Finally, put the crushed garam masala and kasoori methi.
13. Add chopped coriander leaves.
14. Your panchamel dal is ready. Serve with choice of rotis or rice recipes.