Try these Maharashtrian dishes for this Ganpati Festival. A perfect cuisine for every festival or occassion. Maharashtrian dishes are famous for their unique process and the spices.
1. Batata Vada-
Ingredients:- 3 tsp Oil, ½ tsp Mustard, Pinch of Hing, Curry leaves, Crushed Ginger, 3 cloves Garlic, 2 chopped Chili, 2 tbsp chopped Coriander, 1\2 tbsp Turmeric, 2 to 3 peeled, boiled and mashed Potatoes, ½ Salt, ½ tbsp Lemon juice.
Besan Batter:- 1 Gram flour, 1 1/2 tbsp Rice flour, 1\2 cup Turmeric, 1\2 Red chili powder, Pinch of Asafetida, 1\2 tbsp Salt, 1\2 tbsp Baking soda, 1\2 cup Water, Oil.
Procedure:- 1. Mix all the ingredients for potato mixture and form into round batata vada.
2. Sink it into besan mixture, coat it well. Deep fry batata vada.
3. Place chilli and batata vada. Serve hot.
2. Puran Poli-
Ingredients:- 2 cups Cooked Chana Dal, 1 cup Grated Jaggery, 1 tbsp Ghee, 1/4 tsp Nutmeg Powder, 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
For the dough- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour, 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder, Salt as per taste, 5 tsp Ghee
Procedure:- 1. Mix together, flour, turmeric powder, salt and ghee in a bowl.
2. Add some water and make a dough and let it rest for 1\2 hr.
3. Mix dal, ghee and jaggery in a pan and cook until jaggery gets dissolved.
4. Cook until thickened nicely.
5. Add nutmeg powder, fennel powder and cardamom powder and mix.
6. Remove from flame and keep aside.
7. Dust the roll and make small balls.
8. Roll them using rolling pin.
9. Keep some stuffing in middle of the roti, seal the ends and roll again.
10. Heat the pan and add puran poli to it.
11. Cook even on both sides.
12. Apply ghee on both sides and fry until golden brown.
13. Apply some more ghee and serve.
Ingredients:- 1 cup soaked and sprouted matki, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 medium diced onion, 1 tsp sugar, 4 cloves garlic, 1 large diced tomato, 1 large diced potato, 1 tbsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 2 tbsp coriander, Salt to taste
For the goda masala: 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 1 tbsp sesame seeds, 5 cloves, 5 cardamom pods, 2 inch cinnamon, 2 bay leaves, 12 peppercorns, 1/2 cup coconut shreds
Procedure:- 1. Roast all masala ingredients until light brown. Add the coconut in the end. Add in the grinder and grind.
2. Heat oil, add onions and sugar and saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic now and stir. Now, add tomato and the grinded masala until tomato releases the oil.
4. Add potatoes to it and stir. Add matki beans and some water and half of the coconut milk.
5. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes, add the remaining coconut milk and serve.
Ingredients:- 1 cup Wheat flour, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, 2 tablespoons rawa, 5 tablespoons melted ghee, 70 grams jaggery, ½ teaspoon baking powder, 3-4 tbsp water to bind the dough, ¼ tsp salt.
Procedure:- 1. Take a microwave-safe bowl add water and jaggery and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove it out and stir.
2. When the mixture cools down, add wheat flour, Semolina flour, cornstarch and salt.
3. Mix well and form a dough.
4. Wrap it and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
5. Take out and roll each part as desired thickness.
6. Roll thick like paratha for flaky.
7. Cut it into desired shapes.
8. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Put the baking tray with the biscuits.
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
5. Kaju Kothimbir Vadi-
Ingredients:- 1 cup gram flour , cashew nuts, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp red chilli powder, 2 finely chopped green chillies, 1 1\2 Tbsp tamarind pulp, Salt to taste, 5 Tbsp oil and some more to shallow fry, 2 Tbsp fresh finely chopped coriander,
Procedure:- 1. Take a mixing bowl, add all ingredients together except for all. Add 1 1\2 cup of water and make a thick batter.
2. Het some oil in pan add batter and cook for 15-18 minutes and keep stirring till the mixture turns into a thick dough. Remove from heat.
3. Greese a tray and spread mixture like 1 inch thick. Set aside to cool and steam for 30 minutes. Cut into squares.
4. Heat oil to shallow fry and fry the squares until golden brow and crispy. Drain it.
5. Serve with chutney or ketchup.