India is a country of rich cultures and traditions. Each of its state has its own special food item. You should surely try these street foods from Mumbai to Delhi before you die.
- Paratha from Parathe wali gali, Chandni Chowk-
For Dough-2 cups Wheat Flour, 1 tbsp Salt, 1 1\2 tbsp Ghee, 1 1\2 cup Water
For Filling- 3 Boiled Potatoes, 1\2 Salt, 5-6 Green Chillies, 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Tsp Amchur powder, 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala, 1 Tsp Cumin Powder, 5 tbsp of chopped coriander, Oil to Shallow fry.
Dough Prep- Take a bowl, add Wheat flour and Salt. Mix well. Add Ghee to it and mix. Now, add water and knead for 5 mins until the dough is soft. Keep Aside.
Aloo Filling- Take potatoes in a bowl and mash them. Now add all the spices and coriander. Mix well and keep aside
Paratha- 1. Take a medium sized ball from the dough. Apply flour on properly and see that it doesn’t stick when rolling.
- Now roll the ball into a medium sized thick disc.
- Take about 4 Tbsp of potato filling and put it on the center of the dough.
- Join the edges together to seal it into a ball.
- Flatten it between your hands and then apply dry flour on both sides.
- Roll it and keep the paratha medium.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add paratha and fry for few minutes until the paratha is cooked on both the sides.
- Bhopali Gosht Korma, Bhopal-
For masala paste: 2 chopped onions, 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp mace, 5 cloves, 1 an inch of cinnamon, 4 green cardamoms, 2 brown cardamoms, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, 3 bay leaves, 1 1/2 cups of curd, pinch of grated nutmeg
For gravy: 1/2 kg mutton, 3 Tbsp oil, 2 1\2 cups of water, 1 tsp deghi mirch, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 2 1/2 tsp chopped ginger, 1 tsp chopped garlic, 2 tsp screw pine water, Salt to taste
Procedure:-1. Boil the mutton in water and salt until almost cooked. Keep the water to use as stock.
- Grind all the ingredients for masala paste together.Add deghi mirch and red chilli powder to the paste. Mix well.
- Heat the oil and add ginger until slightly brown . Add boiled mutton and cook till it turns golden brown.
- Add the masala paste and the stock coatingto the meat well to form a thick gravy.
- Drizzle the salt, garlic and the screw pine water.
- Let it simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with ginger juliennes and serve.
- Dhokla, Ahmedabad-
For batter:- 1½ cup gram flour, 3 tbsp fine rava, 1 tsp ginger paste, 2 finely chopped chilli, ¼ tsp turmeric, 1\2 tsp sugar, asafoetida, ½ tsp salt, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp oil, water, ½ tsp eno fruit salt
For tempering:- 3 tsp oil, ½ tsp mustard, ½ tsp jeera, 1 tsp sesame, pinch asafoetida, few curry leaves, 2 slit chilli, water, 1\2 tsp sugar, ¼ tsp salt, 1 tsp lemon juice
For garnishing:- 2 tbsp grated coconut, 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander.
Instructions:- 1. Take a mixing bowl and sieve besan and rava.
- Add ginger paste, chilli, turmeric, sugar, pinch asafoetida, salt, lemon juice and 1 tbsp oil.
- Prepare a smooth batter and add water according to need.
- Now, add ½ tsp of eno fruit salt or a pinch of baking soda.
- Immediately steam the dhokla batter for 20 minutes.
- Further, cut the dhokla and pour the tempering.
- Garnish the Dhokla with Coriander and Grated coconut.
- Kathi Roll- Udaipur
Ingredients:- 4 tbsp of Refined Flour, 250 grams Boneless Chicken, 1/2 inch Ginger of piece, 3 Garlic cloves, 4 chopped Green chillies, Salt to taste, 1 tsp Cumin powder, 1/2 tsp Chaat masala, 2 medium sliced Onions, 1 medium carrot cut [thick strips], 2 tbsp Oil, 4 tbsp Green chutney, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Take ginger, garlic and two of the green chillies and grind together into a paste. Marinate the chicken in ginger-garlic-green chilli paste and salt and keep aside for an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté chicken till cooked properly. Add cumin powder, chaat masala. Mix sliced onions and carrot strips.
- For kathi rolls, put one tsp of oil on a tawa and lightly heat the rotis. Smear each roti with one tablespoon of green chutney, place six to eight pieces of cooked chicken and sprinkle with green chillies and coriander leaves. Put a spoonful of onion and carrot mixture on the roti and sprinkle some salt.
- Roll the roti tightly with the stuffing and serve.
- Vada Pav- Mumbai
Ingredients:- 2 tsp Oil, ½ tsp Mustard, Pinch of Hing, Curry leaves, Crushed Ginger, 2 cloves Garlic, 1 chopped Chili, 2 tbsp chopped Coriander, ¼ tbsp Turmeric, 2 peeled, boiled and mashed Potatoes, ½ Salt, ½ tbsp Lemon juice.
Besan Batter:- ¾Gram flour, 1 tbsp Rice flour, ¼ cup Turmeric, ¼ Red chili powder, Pinch of Asafetida, ¼ tbsp Salt, ¼ tbsp Baking soda, ½ cup Water, Oil.
Procedure:- 1. Mix all the ingredients for aloo mixture and form into round flat patties.
- Dip it into besan mixture, coat it well. Deep fry aloo balls.
- Spread the chutneys over the insides of pavs.
- Place chili and aloo ball on the inside and close. Serve hot.