The normal Hemoglobin level in a woman is when the count is present between 12.0 to 15.5 grams per deciliter (g/dL). Hemoglobin is an important component in our blood as it transports oxygen from the lungs to various parts of the body and collects carbon dioxide from various tissues and transports it into the lungs.
Hemoglobin is an iron-rich protein molecule present in red blood cells (RBC). Hemoglobin consists of four protein molecules that are linked together, the molecules are two alpha-globin chains and two beta-globin chains. The Hemoglobin count is indicated by the amount of light absorbed.
The sex and age of a person determine the Hemoglobin level in a person. Below are the stats of Hemoglobin level present in a person as per age group-
1. Infant: 13.5 to 24.0 g/dL
2. 1-2 months: 10.0 to 18.0 g/dL
3. 2-6 months: 9.5 to 14.0 g/dL
4. 5-2 years: 10.5 to 13.5 g/dL
5. 2 years-6 years: 11.5 to 13.5 g/dL
6. 6-12 years: 11.5 to 15.5 g/dL
The decrease in the level of Hemoglobin can be fatal. It leads to anemia. There are various factors that can cause the lowering of Hemoglobin, like Deficiency in vitamins like B12, low nutrient diet, kidney or liver diseases, deficiency in iron in the body, Excessive bleeding. Many times newborns are diagnosed with temporary anemia, that is because they don’t receive enough red blood cells. The anemia in infants can also lead to jaundice.
When the Hemoglobin count decreases, there are various health issues that arise with it. You certainly need to increase the count, here are some tips to increase the Hemoglobin level.
1. Iron-rich foods- Consume a diet with all iron-rich foods like egg, pumpkin seeds, chicken liver, apple, apricot, tofu, beetroot, dates, almond, jaggery, amla, green leafy vegetables, and raisins.
2. Increase folic acid and vitamin C intake- Increase the intake of Vitamin c with foods like orange, strawberries, lemon, grapes, broccoli, and tomatoes.
3. Eat a pomegranate daily- Intake at least 1 pomegranate a day.
4. Avoid food that blocks the iron content in the body- Avoid consuming tea, coffee, wine, beer or cola drinks.